Friday, December 12, 2008

WHAT ABOUT ME? WHAT WILL I BE?

WHAT ABOUT ME?
WHAT WILL I BE?
by
Ken Fortie

So many people accomplish great things.
Some conquer nations, some are great kings.
They have their dreams, they‘ve found a place,
They’ve made a name in this great human race.
A dream to fulfill, that’s what it’s about.
It’s great to be famous, there is no doubt.

What could I be, what work could I do?
What would make people take notice, like you?
I want to be known for some marvelous deed,
So they’d write my life story for people to read.
So many things that would really be fun . . .
Surely for me there’s just the right one.

A medical doctor would be quite the thing!
Whenever you’re sick, you could give me a ring.
I’d tap on your knee to give it a jerk,
Then tickle your tonsils to see if they work.
I’d dig through the wax to look in your ears,
To see if you’ve washed them in so many years.
But…

Being near sick people isn’t too pleasing.
I’d catch something strange and really start sneezing!
So…

Working for NASA would be best for me,
Finding new worlds in a strange galaxy!
In a lightning-fast spaceship I would take flight,
Traveling through space near the speed of light.
I’d meet with the leaders of worlds far away
And try some new foods at an alien buffet.
But…

Strange foods always give me a bad case of gas;
My friends would all hope that this too would pass.
So…

The job of a ranch hand, well that would be rowdy.
I’d greet folks in town, tip my hat, and say “Howdy!”
I’d tame wild broncos so they’d eat from my hand,
Then we’d round up the cattle to give them a brand.
I’d play the harmonica near the campfire;
Beans and starry nights are all I’d require.
But…

That bronco would probably buck me sky high.
I’d land on a rock on my head and I’d cry!
So…

I could be a great athlete, scoring each play---
Or hitting home runs, signing baseballs all day.
To the Olympics I’d go, winning medals of gold,
A marvelous feat for all to behold!
I’d be in the headlines all over the place;
Wherever I go, they’d notice my face.
But…

Me---a great athlete? No, there’s no way!
I’m simply too clumsy; it just wouldn’t pay.
So…

A top secret agent would be so exciting.
The thrill of the spy game would be quite inviting!
Going off to exotic lands far away,
Speaking new languages, s‘il vous plait (see vu play).
I’d spy on the spies who are spying on me,
Then charge the government a very large fee.
But…

What ever would happen if they found me out?
I’d hear bullets wiz by, without a doubt!
So…

I’d run for President, that’s what I’d do!
Then I would make laws for people like you.
I’d fly everywhere in my big fancy jet,
Ridding our country of all its bad debt.
I’d shake all the hands of the people I meet;
I’d even kiss babies and tickle their feet.
But…

If I said something wrong and I started a war,
Then I’d be the main person that people deplore.
So…

A fireman’s job would complete my great quest.
When I drive my big fire truck, you’d be so impressed.
I’d pull up to fires that are red-hot and blazing;
I would put out the flames while the people stood gazing.
I would rush in and save all the people inside.
I would even save kitties from the trees where they hide.
But…

Climbing up those tall ladders above the streetlights
Would cause me to shake, ‘cause I’m scared of heights.
So…

I could be a great chef making fluffy soufflé!
You would read my cookbooks and try it my way.
Exotic veggies I’d slice and arrange
Into flowers or other designs very strange.
On a PBS show I would make chocolate mousse,
And serve it on silver with flaming wild goose.
But…

I can’t even cook macaroni and cheese.
That fancy French restaurant wouldn’t be pleased.
So…

A submarine captain’s a job I would keep;
Through cold, dark oceans I’d silently creep.
We’d look for strange creatures lurking below,
And they would surround us with eyes all aglow.
To find golden treasure, we’d constantly look
For the lost, sunken ships of Blackbeard and Hook.
But…

If a giant squid’s tentacles squeezed us real tight.
I think you’d agree that would be quite a fright!
So…

A world-renowned artist, that’s what I am!
I’d paint a great portrait of the King of Siam.
I’d paint a still-life of a bowl with some fruit.
I’d sell lots of paintings and make lots of loot.
I could illustrate books; there would be nothing slicker.
The Caldecott people would give me a sticker.
But…

My still life’s and landscapes look kind of blobby.
Perhaps I should find myself some other hobby.
So…

I could join a great circus and become the ringmaster!
I’d crack a big whip so the horses run faster;
I could ride a big elephant whenever I like,
Or ride with the clowns on my miniature bike.
I’d swing on a flying trapeze so you’d cheer;
I could wrestle a lion without any fear!
But…

If we swung through the air and crashed into each other,
You would leave our bad show and go find another.
I’m afraid as a clown I would be rather boring,
You’d hear through the crowd the sound of much snoring.
So…

I could be a great pilot in a very fast jet,
Flying over the clouds into the sunset.
I’d tumble and spin and cut clouds in two,
Then around I would go in a curlicue.
My name would be famous; I’d be in demand.
To fly in the air shows would be very grand.
But…

If I crashed in the ocean, then I’d cry, “Boo hoo!”
And I’d have to swim fast, or I might be shark stew.
So…

I won’t worry right now; it’s all in good time.
I’ll develop my talents so I’ll make my dime.
Sometimes there are things more important than fame;
Being famous and happy aren’t always the same.
For now I have something I might want to try,
To make my heart sore and my spirit fly high.
I’ll just be myself and that’s quite enough.
I’ll be grateful each day for all of my stuff.
I’ll be kind to my neighbor and say something nice.
And make his day better; that should suffice.

1 comment:

Cristi said...

THAT WAS SO AWESOME!!! I AM PICTURING YOUR CHILDREN'S BOOK WITH PICTURES OF FANCY VEGETABLES, SHARKS, ETC. I LOVED IT!